Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Battle Fish Taco Baja Fresh v California Tortilla

Fish tacos are great...some guy on the food network was making them and he was tkaing about how he used to surf and drive to baja to get them...it was a good story and his tacos looked awesome. They were beer battered witha spice chipotle sauce and crazy cabbage slaw. After watching that show I was pumped up to get some fish tacos. the most conveniet fish taco is Baja Fresh and while no meand good they will do when I need a fix. However, my friend SpaceCadet said California Tortilla had tasty fish tacos. So the taste test was on.

Baja Fresh ahs a crispy white fish, in corn tortillas, with a spicy vinegary sauce and chopped cabbage and tomoatoes. They are tasty but at $2.50 each a little pricey, but that is what you pay for fish tacos. The fish is always crisp and the corn tortilla relly make these tacos good. i like the sauce they have on their tacos it is sharp and cuts the blandness of the fish. Decent and will do.

Cali Tortilla has a balckjened grouper...I was excited but my first bite was horrible. It was too much seasoning and the fish readily gave way to the spices. the tacos where is a gummy flour tortilla and the cabbage slaw wwhile all over the tacos didnt taste like anything. i only tasted seasoning. Now in all fairness I havent smoked in awhile and my taste buds are in full form so any spice hits me but these tacos were too much. I was disappointed.

I know i should find a nice authentic mexican place but this is about convenience and getting my fix...

2 comments:

ATChipmunk said...

That was Wing Lam from Wahoo's Fish Tacos! Caught that show on the Food Network also. In fact, P and I won a trip to Hawaii from Wahoo's when we 1st moved to Cali...free trip to the islands with tons of free fish tacos! Can't ask for much more...other than good surf...

CapitolSwell said...

You got a trip to hawaii from eating fish tacos, that is the greatest story ever!