Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sandwich

Im not a sandwich guy...I like a hot lunch. But over the years i have some sandwiches that have come in and out of my life.

When i was growing up I would get sandwiches that i wasnt ready for. Vienna sausages on toast, liver pate smeared on white bread etc...that really kept me off sandwiches. See what i mean. i bet now those sammies would be awesome, anyway.

In high school you could get the turkey club or the italian sub by the inch with tons of oil and vinegar which helped me reintroduce myself to sammies. these sandwiches were great and done well.

Then life in Vermont happened and I had more powerhouse sandwiches with sprouts then i can shake a stick out. We are talking sprouts, a whole avocado, tomatoes, mozerella, roasted peppers, on a toasted 79 grain bread with a honey mustard...heaven. But I ate them like every other day for lunch.

After college i came right to the Hill and I fell in love with this grilled chicken sandwich with a country mayo on farm bread. It rocked. the cafateris serves up dreadful sammies that should be used as foundation for the Capitol Visitor Center expansion. But I always felt stumped, there is always one sandwich that stands out for me. I hadnt yet found it.

But what make a good sandwich. i used to pile everything on a sandwich and it would beocme a cacophony of flavors nothing stands out and they all dont really blend. The perfect sandwich eluded me.

Then I went o Spain. Eveyrhting ie better there, the pace of life, the food, its all taste better and I appreciate it so much more. i found in Spain a bocadillo of jamon y queso...nothing fancy but this sandwich and a orange fanta make me weep for the old country. Serrano ham and cheese on a chewy roll make me happy.

I was at baldacci's and I tried to get the sandwich guy to replicater and it was a miserable failure. I must build this one on my own.

5 comments:

wunderkraut said...

i love a good sandwich! the trick is finding it, depending on the country you're in. in deutschland they they put a whole schnitzel between two slices of bread. here, i'd say the reuben is the gold standard.

Charlie Brown said...

I guess being a college kid sandwiches are the basis of my diet. 3-4 days a week I have the exact same thing-salami, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a kaiser roll. (I know this is probably making your palate keel over. It's not healthy but it's what I have every day, and the same person always makes it for me.
Today, I went to put my backpack down before I got lunch. When I got to the counter, my sandwich was already made. "I saw you coming up the stairs," she said.

SoNSo1 said...

Pastrami on rye. Reuben. Italian cold cut sub. That fricking Mixto in spain: ham, eggs on white toast with a hole for the yolk. These are some of my favorites.

I think I like sandwiches a lot. I just don't like getting them from a deli too much because delis around here suck. Plus their turkey isn't that good.

Billy Hixx and the New Breed said...

My idea of the perfecdt sandwich is me in between Kate Beckinsale and Alicia Silverstone. Yum.

Anonymous said...

please tell me where you find these great sandwiches as I hunted high and low for one in Galicia (Spain) and it wasn't a successful venture.

Ps: I am loving your blog!