Monday, December 11, 2006

DC Restaurant Review: Sesto Senso

Sesto Senso is an Italian Restaurant in Dupont Circle. Its been there as long as I have been in DC and this was my first time there. Honestly I have always been a little suspect of SS, mainly because it was alaways a Euro hang out. With that prejudice in my head I never wanted to go. We are taking euro central

I went out to catch up with friends and was pleasently surprised.

SS is unique. It has a well appointed interior and feels hip. What i was impressed with right off the bat was the service. Ernesto met us at the door with a great smile that seemed to convey, "I will take care of you." And he did. he was superb. he made the experience grand. There is nothing like good service. It didnt seemed force and was very much appreciated. The water was always filled, the service was competent and quick. It kept the evening flowing.

The food: antipasto mitzo, calamari and ossobucco with risotto, capacinno, and port. The mitzo was perfect, smoked mozerella tomato and balsamic, roasted peppers, sausage/palena, and pruscitto. This starter had a bit of everything and it was all done well. A note on pruscitto, I try to like it but i think i prefer more spanish ham, a bit saltier and stiffer,

The calamari was disappointing a little too industrial and worse it didnt holod up to a little time on the table. In fact as time went on it became hard. The batter was ok but the squid was tough. Calamari should be fresh and light. This wasnt, i was a bit disapponited.

Ossubucco and rissotto was so tender and juicy. I loved and the rissotto it was perfectly cooked. Im a big fan of rissotto and hope I get to try more. Ossubucco is a great dish, I wish restaurant could make pork shanks this tender,

I know you all really want to know about the coffee and it was great. Nutty and impactful i was very impressed.

I wish I could say that the food matched th service, but the calamari bummed me out, The rest of the meal was quite good and the service was perfect. i will say this i think i need to go back and try more items. This place has serious potential.

2 comments:

Billy Hixx and the New Breed said...

Did you just write that it has a "well appointed interior"? Are you doing luxury car commercials now? Does Sesto Senso also come with anti-lock brakes?

CapitolSwell said...

Why yes i did, euroSpacedadet76 would like this place. Its super euro, like that palce in georgetown thats all euro.