Friday, July 14, 2006

DC Restaurant Review: Levante's

Its been awhile since I did a Restaurant Review. Work has had me wrapped up and I have been mainly eating at ol main stays like Cactus and Cafe Deluxe and 2 Amy's. Anyway here is a new review.

Levante's is an upscale kebob shop. I dont really know if you can have upscale kebobs but this place tries. Dinner consisted of Baba Ghanoujah, Kofte and my friend had a steak sandwhich on flat bread with creamy tomato soup.

Coming in from the early evening mugginess my friend and I were looking forward to a cool (AC blasting) restaurant. Unfortunately we were greeted by a Saharian Desert heat because the restaurants AC was on the fritz. So it looks like we were not only going to have Middle Eastern food but experience the heat of the region as well. On a seperate note geez WWIII looks like it is going to bust out soon. I wish we can have one day of stability. Levante's wasnt crowded for a Bethesda night which is good. We sat next to a mother and daughter, i think, and the daugter droned on about favoring solitude and not liking people. It seemed like she was trying to piss off her mom. They had the Levante's appetizer sampler which looks good. But do you want to eat with a person who doesnt like people??

Overall the food here is consistant. I've had many a kebob and the meats always come out moist and the rice and onions are always tasty. Also the starter bread is fresh and yummy. So the Baba Ghanoujah comes out first and it is creamy and garlicky always good things in my opinion. But was it exquisite, not really good yes but not exceptional. My Kofte was good seasoned appropriately and moist. But is the Kofte any different from a kebob shack's, well no, but the prices is seven dollars more.

My friends food looked good but I never asked him what he thought. So i will make it up or guess. it looked uninspiring.

I guess overall Levante's food is good but uninspired and for craps sake save your money and go to Moby Dick's Kebob atleast there you'll get the same meal for half the price and get grilled tomatoes. The hostess is hot at Levante's and the fresh bread is yummy...Its just uninspired.

My DC Scale: Out of committee but no real rush to get it to the floor for a vote.

No comments: