Saturday, December 02, 2006

Restaurant Review: Capitol Grille Baltimore

Eating out is such a small pleasure and eating out to celebrate a birthday always makes me smile. It was my cousin's 30th and the family went out en masse to celebrate at the newly opened Baltimore Capitol Grille. Family outings like this are always fun and its that memory that makes me eat out so much. I love capturing those feelings of being with my family and just enjoying life.

The Capitol Grille (TCG) is a steakhouse in the long line and tradition of all steakhouses. Dark hardwood floors, clubby atmosphere, stiff drinks, steaks all shapes and sizes, seafood, blah blah blah. The basic tradition for any steakhousde is more is better. The question i often ask myself when going to a steakhouse is "How is it different?" More often then not these places are all the same. The same creamed spinich, creme brulee, chowder...and i do think that Capitol Grille is like all other steak restaurants. But how is it different?

First- the calamari is awesome flash fried with hot peppers helps add that zip that most restaurants add in their marinara sauce. TCG's calamari is hot and spicy and does what a good apetizer is supposed to do, it revs up your appetite to eat more. The size of this appetizer is great. I have been here before where you just focus on the calamri. This is the best calamari you will find in any restauarant.

From there i had the clam chowder, man what a disappointment clam chowder should be steaming hot, with chunky potatoes and meaty clams. I found the potatoes mushy, the clams non existent and the broth watery. The only thing that saved this soup was the damn oyster crackers. That being said I have had this soup in basically all steak houses. Boring and dull.

My brother got the wedge which for me has its pluses and minuses. The big plus is that its a head of lettuce with tons of blue cheese dressing and bacon bits. What a damn good idea, creamy, smoky bacon and fresh lettuce genius. The minus is that it really is way too much. But if you need to clean your palate for your steak this will do just fine. Again, a salad found in most steak places.

The steak- I often get the kona encrusted sirloin. Steak purists always talk about being able to just eat the meat. For god's sake what are we caveman eating meat from the fire. Whats wrong with a little extra flavor, like grilled onions, steak sauces, or bernaise. The only steaks that should be eaten without anything are intensely marbled, fatty steaks because you get fatty goodness on your steak. Otherwise add some onions, or red wine reduction or some A1. Anyway, last night i had the porterhouse and was surprised. I often ask for steaksauce, but when i cut out the filet section it was damn good. I have had porterhouses that knock me on my ass and this didnt do that, but it was good.

The sides- creamed spinich, lyonnaise potatoes, potaoes au gratin, onion rings. TCG needs to have the fries/onion rings combo side they dont and they should. You cant just have fries or onion rings you need both. TCG claims to use vidalia onions in their onion rings but i have had these before at the District Chop House. Crisp but lame and boring. How unfortunate that a potential great onion ring was wasted. Creamed spinich is yummy, but its all the same everywhere you go. I also had lyonniase potatoes, fried potatoes cooked with onions. I love this side. Crispy and simple. The potatoes au gratin were too much, cheesey and cheesy and cheesy.

The true test for a restaurant is the coffee. Attention to detail is what makes a restaurant good and coffee is the best measure. Something so simple but so easy to overlook. TCG has great coffee rich and smooth, I had a great cappacunio that made me happy.

WOW in total TCG besides the calamari seems the same but its not, the service here is always professional, friendly and attentive which i love. Drinks are always full, dirty plates bused quickly, and the wait staff is always nice. I love the service here couple that with an overall great meal you will not be disapponited if you go.

Going to celebrate a birthday is always fun and this place makes the celebration all the more merry.

2 comments:

SoNSo1 said...

I'm still full.

One Little Seedling said...

I concur. Calamari awesome! Soup... wheres the clam... hell where's the chowder? I ordered the Kona Medium Rare, mmm good. Not great, but not dissapointing. Stick around for the coffe, it's delightful.

By the way Athos, nice gift for my Sis. Classy. The glasses, the bottle, the whole package is truly exquisite. Hell I never even use that word. But there it is. Good thing I didn't just get her the Superman DVD. =)