Tuesday, March 04, 2008

DC Restaurant Review: Bob's Noodle House 66


I was in Taipei a few years back for work and I bugged my host for something authentic. He took me for spicy beef noodle soup... I remember going through some back alleys up some stairs to what looked like a large kitchen. My host was embarrassed, he shouldn't have brought staff here it was too run down. We got served a big bowl of rice noodles, in a spicy broth with some beef. It was good and down home good but i wasnt blown away.

A few years have passed, and i have never had the hankering for tawainese noodle soup. Until this past Sunday, after a round of CoD4 The Seed says he is heading to Bob's Noodle House 66 (BNH66) with some friends. I go along to get some noodles. There are not many place to get noodles in DC. People might say Raku, which is shite, Pho not bad, but Bob's Noodle House 66 was amazing.

We started with fried pig intestines, braised pork, and pig ears. Pig ears are gross. they shouldnt be eaten. For me I cant get past the texture. It's way too much cartalidge and cold. It looked like they pressed all the ears together and chopped it up into rectangles. If it would have tasted of something I would have enjoyed it, but cold and rubbery isnt my thing. The pig intestine was good, fried with some salt and pepper and allspice it was only enhanced with the bowls of rice that came out. I wish it was crunchier. The braised pork...what can you say about slow cooked pork except that it rules. It was eight chunks of great pork with hunks of fat on it. Tender and shreddable with a fork I found myself wanting more. i could have had 7 orders of it. It was so good.

Then the soups came out. It was a gallon of soup easy. The broth was delicate and rich. The greens were fresh and it had stir fried pork in it. I asked for spicy and they added chopped up peppers which kicked my ass. It was a good burn, back of the throat that didn't overwhelm. There were other subtle touches. The soup had onions that were slightly caramelized. The pork was stir fried before being introduced into the soup. I had egg noodles that were fresh and a little crunchy. All of these combined into a great soup. The soup was amazing and for $6 bucks it couldnt be beat.

You have to try this place. Get the braised pork and spicy noodle pork soup, about $9 dollars in total and a meal for a week.

It in the back of a shopping center next to a liquor store and its in Rockville. Well worth the trip.

4 comments:

One Little Seedling said...

I'm still eating my soup. By the way I didn't realize that was the pig ear. I actually liked it. I still can't believe that was pig ear because it looked nothing of the sort. It just looked like flat cold bacon. But make no mistake it didn't taste like bacon.

That was definitely a good random spur of the moment meal. I would definitely go back again and this time we should plan it ahead to bring people.

But it's nice having spur of the moment random meals like that. I think that is now one of my fave places.

riss said...

They are also one of the only places in DC area that actually serve shabu shabu. For me it's all about the sauce and this place only has do it yourself sauce so it's a gamble. But when you need shabu, you need shabu.

m said...

i hear we should've left room for the shave ice dessert (remember the mound of goodness the couple across from us had?). next time, next time.

i'm still having dreams of the pork. did i say that out loud?

m said...

fo sho we gotta shabu. it's across the street from bob's noodle. i'm down for this weekend if anyone else is up for it.