Friday, July 31, 2009

LA Confidential

For a brief stint, some say a few days I say a life time, I had quit my Hill life and went to LA. My dad had died and frankly I didn't want to do anything. I quit the lobby shop and was just trying to heal. I went to LA thinking I would start over. New industry, new career, a whole new life but all I ended up doing was moving back to DC, rather quickly.

But why did I run away so quickly. It wasnt Starbucks. Was it an epiphany that i really loved political work? Was there some unfinished romantic interest back in DC? Am I such a creature of the Hill that I can never leave? I actually do think that someone cast as evil spell on me where I am bound to DC and the Hill and everything in my life just goes up and down and up and down as a form of punishment.

What changed was a job listing for my current boss and the Josh Lymon Dream. It is the dream of being like Josh Lymon, Bradley Whitford's character, in West Wing funny smart political policy guy. I never meant for the job application to lead to anything real. i actually meant for the application to be a practice run. I was trying to find campaign jobs in LA but next thing I know I am back in DC.

It was strange how quickly things moved. i went to the campaign office in a suit. the campaign manager was in jeans and a sweatshirt. He asked me about ENDA, gay rights. He asked about Jones Act, shipping issue. He asked about the district and next thing I knew I had a job. This was about ten minutes all together. I know I'm impressive but that even stunned me.

I should have just moved to Manhattan Beach instead of applying for this job.

No comments: